The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Ariana Grande Eternally Shines In New Album

After Ariana Grande’s very long break from music while filming the two part movie “Wicked”, she got to work on her newest album Eternal Sunshine which released March 8th 2024.

Eternal Sunshine is a concept album following the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind . This movie revolves around Joel and Clementine, a couple who start their relationship off great, but after their rough breakup, Clementine makes the decision to erase Joel from her mind.

Ariana decided to name this album Eternal Sunshine “because of the irony of it”, she told Zach Sang in an interview published to Youtube on Feb. 26th.

“It’s interesting because people hear it and think that it’s so optimistic. And that’s kind of the point. That’s the irony of what it means eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is kind of like ignorance is bliss,” the Wicked actor said. ”I’m gonna erase all the bad and kind of enter this eternal bliss, eternal sunshine. But it’s really sad. It’s selectively erasing certain things. And that’s why I loved it because it’s what we wish for everyone, to experience Eternal Sunshine.”

“Intro (End of the world)” is a song where Ariana is confused about her relationship. This starts off the question or theme followed throughout the album until the end. “How do I know if I’m in the right relationship?”

If the sun refused to shine, baby would I still be your lover? Would you want me there? If the moon went dark tonight, and if it all ended tomorrow would I be the one on your mind?And if it all ended tomorrow would you be the one on mine? 

“Bye” is an upbeat song where Grande expresses her feelings for a relationship that ended while belting her heart out. She also does an honorable mention to her best friend Courtney. “So, I’ll grab my stuff Courtney just pulled up in the driveway, It’s time”

In “Don’t Wanna Break Up Again”, Ariana expresses how hard it was  to leave her relationship, and how she doesn’t want to break up again.

She also expresses how she tried to salvage the relationship and how he cared too little too late.

“Saturn Returns Interlude” is a song in which Ariana references astrology. Every 29 and half years your Saturn returns exactly where it was when you were born. She doesn’t sing in the songs but it represents how much the Saturn has changed herself and her life and how much she’s grown and pulled herself together since then.

“Eternal Sunshine” is the title track of the album Ariana starts this song off with a little giggle. This song talks about how her old relationship was not good for her and how that person is her eternal sunshine as if she wishes she could erase her memories from that time, but life still goes on.

“So now we play our separate scenes,”

“I’ll be the first to say I’m sorry, Now you got me feeling sorry, I showed you all my demons all my lies, let you play me like atari now its like I’m looking in mirror”

“I found a good boy and he’s on my side, your just my eternal sunshine, sunshine”

“Supernatural” is a love song comparing her new relationship and all the love they have produced for each other to a magical feeling consuming her in all the right ways.

“True Story” is a scrapped song from the Positions album, and was leaked all over TikTok. Ariana released this song on Eternal Sunshine evolving her emotions and her rumors about her scandal from august.

“The Boy is Mine” comes after “True Story” because it sets up the meaning behind this song. 

“It’s kind of like, I’ll play the bad girl” Ariana said in an interview with Apple Music. “Now here’s your bad girl anthem”.

“Yes, And?” Was the lead single for this album and addresses a lot of Ariana’s scandals recently. Many fans did not like this song and couldn’t understand why Ariana would pick this as a single. 

Grande revealed on the “Zach Sang show” that she released this single because it was the first song that she wrote for the album. She references the “Thank u, Next” album formula. 

“Thank u, Next came first so we could move on” Ariana said. “Even though Break up with your girlfriend, I’m bored and 7 rings were a bigger hits.”

“We Can’t Be Friends (Wait for Your Love)”, is an emotional song Glinda actress wrote about wanting to be friends with someone she was in love with even though they have broken up and may have some bad blood.

“I Wish I Hated You” is a sorrowful song about someone where Ariana wishes no bad on and has done some bad things to her. Ariana gets emotional through the song talking about all her wishes.

Imperfect for you is a meaningful song talking about how her new life and new relationships fit her perfectly and she is imperfect for them and they are imperfect for her.

“Ordinary Things (Feat. Nonna)” concludes this short album talking about the small things in life you should and can enjoy with the people you love. Ending with a quote that answers Ariana’s question at the beginning of the album.

“No matter what we do there’s never gonna be an ordinary thing, no ordinary thing with you.”