The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Olivia Rodrigo Lights Up Houston With Spectacular Guts World Tour Performance

Pop+singer+and+songwriter+Olivia+Rodrigo+performs+at+the+Toyota+Center+as+a+part+of+her+Guts+World+Tour.+Rodrigos+show+in+Houston+was+just+the+third+of+77+shows.+
Lauren McNulty
Pop singer and songwriter Olivia Rodrigo performs at the Toyota Center as a part of her Guts World Tour. Rodrigo’s show in Houston was just the third of 77 shows.

On Feb. 27, 21-year-old pop singer and songwriter Olivia Rodrigo performed at the Toyota Center in Houston, TX. The performance was part of her GUTS World Tour, which kicked off days earlier in Palm Springs, AZ. Rodrigo last performed in Houston in 2022 as part of her Sour Tour.  

Upon arriving at the show, large numbers of fans flocked to the merchandise trucks set up outside the arena, which were filled with numerous clothing items and memorabilia. Despite high prices, fans were not hesitant to purchase the singer’s merchandise, fully expecting to proudly wear it to school in the coming days.   

Outside of the arena, fans could be seen taking pictures of themselves in their GUTS-themed outfits. Flashes of purple and red were visible everywhere as fans milled about, talking amongst each other and taking pictures, many of which would surely be posted on social media. 

After finding their seats inside the stadium, fans waited patiently for the show to begin.

American singer and songwriter Chapell Roan was the opening act of the night. She sang multiple songs from her discography, including “HOT TO GO!,” “After Midnight,” and “Pink Pony Club.” The young crowd danced and cheered loudly in appreciation.  

After Roan exited the stage, fans screamed as candles spelling out “GUTS” lit up the enormous screen over the stage, and everyone became progressively more excited as the candles melted, signifying the show’s imminent start. 

Overhead the stage, colorless visuals of Rodrigo running through a hallway were shown as fans cheered and shouted. Hardly anyone could wait. The big moment was finally at hand.  

The crowd exploded as Rodrigo appeared from a platform hidden underneath the stage, singing “bad idea right?” It was an incredible kick-off to the concert. 

Throughout the night, the artist displayed a range of outfits, representing the theme of her two studio albums through a mix of glamor and alternative edgy fashion. Her looks consisted of sparkly bodysuits, two-pieces, black combat boots, and much more. 

Rodrigo also included unique set designs and interactive props throughout her performance. During her sets of “logical” and “enough for you,” she was whisked across the stadium by a floating moon surrounded by stars. She was able to interact with all sides of the stadium, fostering a closer interaction with her fans. A segment of her stage was also see-through, providing an uncommon and distinctive view of the singer from below where she stood. 

Additionally, at different times during the show, the singer walked around the standing room in front of the stage, high-fiving, embracing, and taking pictures with fans. The singer did an amazing job of connecting with the audience.

Although the GUTS World Tour was intended to promote songs from her latest release, GUTS, she mixed in a few songs from her Sour album on the tracklist, giving her show a greater variety. She also played the song “obsessed,” which is only available on a special edition vinyl called The Secret Tracks.

After the singer performed her first 20 songs, she thanked her fans and fled the stage, acting as if that were the end of the show. Fans screamed and cheered for her to return to the stage during a brief break. After much anticipation, Rodrigo reappeared, surprising fans, to sing two more songs, one from each of her albums: “good 4 u” and “get him back!”

Overall, the night was filled with fun and vibrant visuals, unique props, and high fan energy. The stadium was filled with a chorus of voices as fans sang their hearts out. Some fans even considered the show a stadium-wide therapy session. 

Rodrigo left her fans with a special parting gift. She partnered with Crumbl Cookie during the week of her shows in Texas to create a custom cookie in celebration of her GUTS World Tour. The treat consists of two purple sugar cookies with vanilla buttercream frosting sandwiched in between, a healthy dose of sprinkles, and a small star cut-out on top that is filled with berry jam.