The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Katy ISD Should Take Measured Approach When Crafting New Cell Phone Policy

James Madison High School students staged a walkout on Thursday, Feb. 8, protesting Houston ISD’s new cell phone policy. The policy, which bars students from using their cell phones throughout the day, was set into effect the week prior because cell phones were used to organize and record fights that had broken out at the school. Though intended to promote a more positive school environment, it has incited uprisings and blatant disregard for the policy. 

The protests and disobedience of HISD’s cell phone policy display its limited success. Nevertheless, Katy ISD plans to follow suit. The CLASS 1:1 FAQ page previews plans to closely regulate cell phones during the school day as part of a broader overhaul of technology brought on by purchasing a Chromebook for each student. Although Katy ISD is taking a step in the right direction by enabling greater access to technology for students, the potential new phone policy may do more harm than good.

While phone restrictions are intended to prevent students from accessing inappropriate material and maintain their focus in the classroom, they are counterproductive in that they will lead to more anxiety and less focus while simultaneously depriving students of the opportunity to learn how to act responsibly when provided a privilege. Katy ISD should revisit the idea of phone restrictions to ensure that the proposed policy is safe for students and conducive to classroom success.

The main concern of the proposed policy is student safety. By restricting access to students’ electronics, this policy strips them of their only method of communication during the school day. Without their devices, students cannot reach their parents or alert officials if there is an emergency on campus. As a state that experienced 23 school shootings last year, students must have access to external contacts during the school day should authorities need to be alerted of potential dangers on campus. Additionally, many parents install software and apps on their students’ phones, such as Life360 and Find My iPhone, to keep track of their whereabouts and security. 

Students’ mental and physical health should be the district’s main priority. However, with the implementation of this policy, they are putting aside students’ needs in favor of a cell phone-free classroom. Many students use functions on their phones and other personal devices to cope with anxiety and stress at school through the use of music and anxiety management apps. Small freedoms to make choices based on individual preferences permit students to exercise their individuality and make themselves feel seen.

Needless to say, the district should impose phone restrictions within the classroom. Devices can be distracting to students, hindering them from completing daily assignments. Additionally, cell phone use inside the classroom decreases cognitive thinking. However, simply banning cell phones fails to teach students how to make informed decisions about online content. Instead, schools should teach students good cell phone habits to better prepare them for a smarter future. 

There are some easy changes that the Katy ISD administration could implement to curb cell phone use in the classroom. Teachers should encourage students to keep phone use to a minimum. If students abuse their phone usage in class, teachers can revoke the privilege on a case-by-case basis. This is a better policy than invoking a blanket ban on all students.  

If the district fails to address students’ concerns, it could exacerbate an unhealthy dynamic between students and the administration. This could ultimately result in student disobedience and resistance in protest of the policy, as evidenced by the dysfunction at Madison High School. 

The school environment should make students feel safe and supported by the administration, not concerned for their well-being or unfairly penalized. Parents and school administrators should take care while crafting this new policy to include less drastic phone restrictions — ones that teach students responsible phone use while keeping the classroom a fun and safe learning environment.

CLASS 1:1 FAQ:

https://www.katyisd.org/Page/10542