The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Girls Varsity Basketball Pauses to Reflect and Looks Ahead

Coach Shalesha Pierce, leads team through the second year of 6a District play 
Lauren McNulty
Warriors reflect on the 2023-24 season.

After coming in 7th two years in a row in district play, with 2 wins against Morton Ranch and one against Oak Ridge, the girls varsity basketball team looks to climb in the rankings next year.

“A major let down was that we didn’t win as many games as we should’ve.” said SF Joyes Youssef ‘24.

Even though many sweat and tears have been put into the 2023-24 season, the Warriors didn’t see the outcome they were looking for.

“During the game against Nimitz we realized that the team needed to be locked in, if we wanted to achieve the outcome that we desired.” said Joyes.

Sadly, the outcome of the game against Nimitz ended in a loss of 66-35, but the warriors can walk away knowing that they put their hearts out on the court.

New seasons are always rocky at first when trying to get to know your new teammates, and being comfortable finding your role within the team.

“At the beginning of the season I was struggling to find my role,” said PG Carlie Lewis ‘27, “But as time went on I realized struggling was good, so I benefited from that struggle, and got better.”

Many Warriors noted that having dedication to the sport you love doesn’t win games. Focusing and putting your ‘all’ at practice is what helps a team grow and become one strong unit.

“If players really wanted to win games, practice should’ve been taken more seriously.” said Joyes.

On top of the existing varsity players wanting to get better and continue having large amounts of playing time, only 4 are graduating seniors, meaning that there will be fierce competition for playing spots next year.

“At the beginning of the season I wasn’t happy with the team I made,” said PG Macey Ray ‘27. “But training hard and working on skills that need to be improved is what’s going to take me to the next level.”

“I know the majority of my teammates are working hard to get a spot on varsity next year,” said G Mia Fuhrman ‘27.

With the intense competition to be on varsity, and the determination to be the best players they can be, next year is going to be an interesting year for the girls varsity team.

After an overall year of many defeats, the number one question being asked is, “What will be different next year?” said G Harper Rushing ‘26. 

Off-season practices offer a preview of what’s to come, with lots of conditioning and training, which is crucial for success. 

“Practice before the season was beneficial. We mainly focused on the rules and shooting aspect of the game,” said Carlie, “Post season is beneficial as well because we put up shots and conditioned a ton.”

One memory that will live on from this last season: Senior Night, where many players had the opportunity to finish off their last game.

“Senior night was an emotional night because it was the last night I would be able to play with my team,” said Joyes.

As the team looks to next season they are ready to bring in more wins and even go to playoffs.

“Overall this season has been super fun, especially getting to know my teammates better.” said Mia ‘27.