The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Is Junk Food Really as Bad as People Make It Seem?

There has always been a debate if junk food is really worth the risk. Many experts say that junk food is extremely unhealthy and unwelcome. Others argue that junk food has some benefits if used in moderation.

From the University of California  addiction expert Mark Gold said “I don’t think sugar is more addicting than cocaine, but I do think sugar is addicting,”. Sugar is one of the main causes of diabetes, weight gain, and heart disease. Many parents are worried about the effect sugar has on their children. 

Many believe sugar is a very addictive substance, while this is true, many of the facts are shrouded in the unknown. “We need food to survive,” said Ashley Gearhardt, assistant professor of clinical psychology at the University of Michigan. “You should enjoy eating. You’re not going to stick to a diet of gruel and broccoli.” 

Many have extremely restrictive diets and intense workouts to get rid of any sugar. Not only is sugar essential but helps make things taste more enjoyable and is mislabeled as a horrid substance. Too much of any substance can be harmful for your health. Extreme protein intake can also lead to heart disease. 

Contrary to popular belief junk food is not the main source of the problem. Pat Crawford, senior director of research for UC’s Nutrition Policy Institute said, “Since about half of this sugar comes in the form of beverages, we have to rethink our beverage choices. Water should be the beverage of choice.” 

The main problem is the beverages. Due to these drinks being primarily composed of water and sugar they have a higher sugar content, then any burger you may eat.

Most fast food burgers usually have a sugar content of about 4 grams per serving, while sodas and soft drinks have from 50 to 100 grams of sugar per serving.

Not only do experts agree that junk food is okay in moderation but so do students. Fun food Friday is a popular day. “It’s something to look forward to.” said Jonas Flood, a sophomore. 

A very important fact to remember is that eating “junk food” does not make you a bad person. It is also true that after a long or hard day it can be nice to eat a delicious meal that isn’t necessarily the most healthy, but can be well enjoyed in moderation.