The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Battle of the Bottles

The controversy between the Hydro Flask and Stanley.
Freshmen+Ebi+Nimiworio%2C+Noor+Rabwian+%2C+Divini+Kuvirl+and+Zoey+Aan+showcasing+their+stanley.+
Amirah Elsayed and Frida Bunge
Freshmen Ebi Nimiworio, Noor Rabwian , Divini Kuvirl and Zoey Aan showcasing their stanley.

In 2024, the water bottle debate bubbled over. From Hydroflasks to Stanleys, these various options inspire debate from others and raise questions about just why we feel so deeply about these objects. How did each become a household name?

Beginning in 2024, Stanley cups, aka Quenchers, had taken over many social media platforms such as Instagram, Tik Tok and even Snapchat due to their unique designs and many influencers showing off their Stanleys on a daily basis. Although it might seem like a recent phenomenon, the brand originated all the way back in 1913!

Credit to the Stanley Website https://eu.stanley1913.com/pages/since-1913

According to the Stanley website, the name “Stanley” was coined by its founder, William Stanley Junior. The water bottle wasn’t stainless steel until the 1940s. The founder had apparently created the indestructible bottle as an accident!

Many people enjoy using their Stanley, like Freshman Anastasia Sutherland.

“My Stanley keeps my water cold throughout the day,” Sutherland said. Despite its high price tag, starting at $45 but with some going for much more online, she personally believes Stanley was worth the price.

The love towards the brand also brings out the haters.

“It’s alright — I personally believe it is overused.” Freshman Dzohara Gonzales said. She personally would not buy a Stanley and has a dislike towards the viral buzz surrounding a water bottle.

Stanleys aren’t the only water bottle trending in popularity. There is also the Hydro Flask. Hydro Flask, founded in 2009 by Travis Rosbach and Cindy Welber, had its 15 minutes of fame in 2019, when the tik tok trend “Vsco girls” took over social media drinking from metal straws and clad in scrunchies. The hydro flask hype eventually sputtered out on social media, but many people prefer it more than Stanley and still use it to this day.

“It was very overrated around 2019-2020, but it is a good water bottle,” Freshman Camila Garcia said.

I like my Hydro Flask because it keeps my water cold all day.

— Natalie Epstein '27

The controversy has been going on for years, many believe all of this conflict for water bottles is useless. Whatever the reason, people love their water bottles they’re style items and ways to make ourselves individuals and stand out.