The Student News Site of Jordan High School

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

JHSJournal

Crochet Club Knits Towards Securing World Record

Photos by Raghav Agarwal and Nail Bari

The new crochet club will submit a picture of their crochet tower for the Guiness Book of  World Records. They began knitting their tower during the Fall semester, and are hoping to finish it on March 31st, 2024 and to find out if they achieved the record later this summer.

The crochet club was founded this year by Freshman Sofia Kolchinsky 27’.

“I noticed that there isn’t a crochet club and I wanted to make something of my own because I didn’t feel like I fit in anywhere.” Kolchinsky said.

It was Sofia’s duty to come up with an objective for the club, and attempting to break a Guiness world record was not the first thing she had in mind.

“The Primary objective of my club was to make things to sell, but that idea got declined,” Kolchinsky, the club president said. “After that it made the morale in the club low and we didn’t have an object anymore, so that’s why I thought that the world record would be a great way to unify the members and give us an objective.”

Brooklyn Trammell,a club member, was enthusiastic about starting this project.

“Whenever Sofia gave us the idea of the world record it sounded fun so we started working on it,” Brooklyn said.

The structure of the tower is a very tedious process according to the club president.

“First we are making circles that are a mix between crocheting and knitting. The circle diameter will be between two, four, six, eight,10, and 12 inches and I will stack them,” Kolchinksy said. “There will be two inches (at the bottom 12) and attach it with yarn, and hang it from my balcony. So we are hoping to achieve 10 feet or more.”

Though the crochet club may sound like a lot of tedious work, people joined for their own artistic reasons.

“I always wanted to learn how to crochet, as my aunt is an avid crocheter.” Club member Trammell said. “She does it professionally. As she was doing it so much I decided I wanted to do it too.”

The team members have a healthy teaching dynamic to make sure everything can be accomplished on time.

“Every single person is making at least 1 foot of the tower and we are helping each other. If one person doesn’t know how to make something I’ll help them.” Sofia said. “I learned how to crochet better and lead people not only by teaching them how to crochet but by keeping them on task.”

When the project is done the club plans to donate the circles to a charitable cause.

“After the  project we will take the circles and make blankets for homeless people.” Kolchsinsky said. “To me this project is a way to not only inspire members in my club but also inspire other people in our school or other schools that not everything is as hard as it seems and you can do a lot more if you put your mind to it.”